- Workplace Posters. How long has it been since you updated your workplace posters? Any number of federal laws require posters. Here’s a link to the Department of Labor’s posting requirements.
- OFCCP Obligations. Are you incorporating the proper language into contracts and subcontracts? Have you updated your affirmative action plan and hiring practices to comply? Here’s a link to an earlier blog on OFCCP Audits to get you started .
- Policy Review. Aside from the OFCCP obligations, how long has it been since you reviewed your employee handbook? Do you have a sound anti-harassment or anti-retaliation policy?
- Training. Have you scheduled your training for 2014? It’s always a good idea to train your employees on all policies, and the OFFCP requires it.
- Record-Keeping. How are you doing with your I-9 documentation? Have you conducted an internal audit to see if they are being completed correctly and have all the necessary copies? Here’s a link to an earlier blog on I-9’s to get you started.
- Review Classifications. Are you exempt and non-exempt employees properly designated? Can you support the designation with job descriptions? Are you relying too heavily on independent contractor status? These are all issues to consider.
- Review Benefits. How will your company’s benefit system be impacted by the Affordable Care Act? Even though implementation has been delayed to 2015, it’s never too early to take a look.
These are just a few steps you can take to minimize your exposure to employment related claims in 2014.