- Timothy Wagner v. Gennaro J. Orrico,et al, 8th Circuit Court of Appeals, 8:94CV116. Large complex commercial litigation dealing with RICO, civil fraud and insurance receivership with the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals affirming Mr. Novotny’s client’s judgment in the amount of $50.1 million for his client.
- Hoffart v. Hodge, 5 Neb.App. 838, 567 N.W.2d 600. Complex case involving two appeals affirming twice jury verdicts in favor of Mr. Novotny’s clients and setting the standard for habit and routine evidence and scope of expert testimony standards.
- Chism v. Campbell,250 Neb. 921, 553 N.W.2d 741. Medical malpractice matter affirming a judgment in favor of Mr. Novotny’s client refining the establishment of the use of the doctrine of res ipsa loquitor in medical negligence case.
- Waite v. Carpenter,1 Neb.App. 321, 496 N.W.2d 1 and Waite v. Carpenter, 3 Neb.App. 879, 533 N.W.2d 917. Complicated series of six lawsuits establishing the doctrine of the unauthorized practice of law in this field upholding dismissal for Mr. Novotny’s clients.
- Hitzemann v. Adam, 246 Neb. 201, 518 N.W.2d 102. Involved medical negligence cases establishing in Nebraska the legal doctrine of not recognizing a cause of action for wrong birth of a viable child in favor of Mr. Novotny’s client.
- Stetson v. Silverman, 278 Neb. 389. Original mandamus action to the Nebraska Supreme Court establishing the standard for protection of Nebraska State Agency privileges.
Mr. Novotny has taken approximately 78 cases to jury verdict in the areas of business disputes, professional negligence, complex commercial litigation, personal injury, civil RICO, environmental, product liability real property issues, will contest, breach of contract, construction law, insurance coverage, agricultural law, employment law, FELA, crossing accidents and intellectual property.
Product liability cases include appliance cases, fire, defective materials, defective construction.
Creighton University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, member of the Moot Court Team and Moot Court Board of Directors
University of Nebraska at Omaha
Admitted to Bar and Courts
State and Federal Courts in Nebraska
United States Supreme Court
United States Tax Court
United States Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
Federal District Courts in Arizona, Colorado and Wisconsin
Memberships, Boards and Committees
Nebraska State Bar Association
Omaha Bar Association
Nebraska Defense Counsel Association
Defense Research Institute
American Board of Trial Advocates
National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel
Elected to Nebraska State Bar Association Executive Council, District 2, 2019
Member of various Nebraska Judicial Nomination Commissions
Nebraska Bar Foundation, Lifetime Fellow
Elected to American Board of Trial Advocates, 2013
Mr. Novotny is a regular speaker on various areas of law, professional issue, risk management, and compliance.
Defense Counsel of the Year by the Nebraska Defense Counsel Association
Lifetime Fellow of the Nebraska State Bar Foundation
Best Lawyers Recipient, 2019 to present
AV rated by Martindale Hubbell (highest possible rating based upon peer review)