Significant Jury Trials and Appellate Cases
- Summary judgment granted for defendant railroad in federal court FELA toxic tort lawsuit. Salstrand v. BNSF Ry., No. 4:20-CV-3146 (D. Neb. 2022)
- Summary judgment granted for defendant railroad in federal court FELA toxic tort lawsuit. Robinson v. BNSF Ry., No. 4:20-CV-3142 (D. Neb. 2022)
- Summary judgment granted for defendant railroad in FELA toxic tort lawsuit. Brown v. Union Pac. R.R., 2020 WL 3428984 (D. Neb. 2020)
- FELA toxic tort survival claim filed against the railroad dismissed on summary judgment. West v. Union Pac. R.R., 2019 WL 7586542 (D. Neb. 2019)
- Railroad crossing accident litigation dismissed on summary judgment. Dreher v. Union Pac. R.R., No. LACV116818 (Pottawattamie Cnty., Iowa 2019)
- Defense jury verdict in FELA federal court lawsuit where plaintiff sought $10,000,000 alleging total disability. Wilhite v. Union Pac. R.R., No. 8:10-CV-306 (D. Neb 2012)
- Jury verdict in FELA lawsuit requiring plaintiff pay defendant railroad’s court costs. Olsen v. Union Pac. R.R., No. LACV102046 (Pottawattamie Cnty., Iowa 2012)
- Defense jury verdict in Nebraska state court FELA lawsuit where plaintiff sought $2,000,000 for injuries plaintiff alleged caused permanent disability. Smith v. Union Pac. R.R., Doc 1080 No. 553 (Douglas Cnty., Neb, 2010)
- Smith v. Union Pac. R.R., 2010 WL 4109317 (Neb. App. 2010) (Nebraska Court of Appeals affirming defense jury verdict in FELA case)
- Ballard v. Union Pac. R.R., 279 Neb. 638, 781 N.W.2d 47 (2010) (Nebraska Supreme Court holding a railroad is not liable under FELA for intentional torts by co-workers)
- City of Lincoln v. Nebraska Pub. Power Dist., 10 Neb. App. 713, 636 N.W.2d 645 (2001)
- Nebraska Pub. Power Dist. v. MidAmerican Energy Co., 234 F.3d 1032 (8th Cir. 2000)
- McLaughlin v. Hellbusch, M.D., 256 Neb. 615, 591 N.W.2d 569 (1999)
- Anderson v. Nissan Motor Co., 139 F.3d 599 (8th Cir. 1998)
- Weaver v. Cheung, M.D., 254 Neb. 349, 576 N.W.2d 773 (1998)
- Wagner v. Pope, M.D., 247 Neb. 951, 531 N.W.2d 234 (1995)
- Barone v. Rich Bros. Interstate Display Fireworks Co., 25 F.3d 610 (8th Cir.), cert. denied, 513 U.S. 948 (1994)
Creighton University School of Law (Juris Doctor, cum laude)
University of Nebraska College of Law (LL.M., Space, Cyber, and Telecommunications Law).
University of Iowa (Bachelor of Business Administration)
Published Law Review Articles
David J. Schmitt, The Computer Fraud And Abuse Act Should Not Apply To The Misuse Of Information Accessed With Permission, 47 Creighton L. Rev. 423 (2014).
David J. Schmitt, Comment, The Constitutional Ramifications of a Universal, Mandatory Testing Program for the Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome, 21 Creighton L. Rev. 859 (1988).
Admitted to Bars and Courts
United States District Court for the District of Nebraska
United States District Court for the Northern District of Iowa
United States District Court for the Southern District of Iowa
United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
United States District Court for the Eastern District of Arkansas
United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
Supreme Court of the United States
Dave Schmitt is a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel (NARTC), American Short Line and Regional Railroad Association (ASLRRA), Nebraska Bar Association, Iowa Bar Association, Omaha Bar Association, and Illinois Bar Association.