Significant Recent Appellate Decisions
- Represented Plaintiff seeking to bar a third party from objecting to the adoption of a child.
- Repesented the Defendant in a successful challenge to exclude the medical causation opinion of plaintiff’s expert using Daubert in a personal injury action.
Significant Recent Cases
- Secured a defense verdict where a railroad employee alleged deep vein thrombosis was caused by his work.
- Secured summary judgment for policy holder that coverage existed on a boiler machinery policy for several multi-million dollar loses.
- Secured summary judgment for City of Omaha in multi-million dollar contract case against original Kerry Pedestrian bridge design and engineering firm.
- Secured summary judgment dismissing claim raised by railroad employee that sleep loss caused diabetes.
- Secured summary judgment dismissing legal malpractice action against lawyer in an estate and will claim.
- Secured summary judgments in various cases finding that a railroad is not at fault for causing an auto/train crossing accident.
- Secured order to strike medical experts and summary judgments dismissing cumulative trauma claims by various railroad employees.
Mrs. O’Brien is a member of the American Bar Association, the Nebraska State Bar Association, the National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel (NARTC) and the Nebraska Defense Counsel. She currently serves on several NARTC committees. She has served as an executive member of the Omaha Bar Association in several capacities.
She received her bachelor’s degree in classical humanities from St. Mary’s University in Winona, Minnesota. She was a recipient of St. Mary’s University Academic Scholarship, and in the St. Mary’s University Honors Program. She received her law degree from Creighton University School of Law. At Creighton University, she was awarded the Roscoe Pound Scholarship and Award for Moot Court achievement and took Second place at the U.S. International Moot Court Competition.
Mrs. O’Brien received the Archbishop’s Outstanding Volunteer Award in 1997, the Omaha Corporate Achiever in 2003, and the Archbishop’s Award of Excellence in 2005.
She is the Immediate Past-President, Catholic Charities Board of Directors, Board Member GWR Sunshine Foundation, Board Member Creighton University of Law, Werner Institute, and member of the Omaha Law League.